Summer is the time of year we get the most inquiries about fitness/activities for kids and it’s not surprising with such amazing weather! (and no school, of course) Here are three of our favourite activities that we incorporate into our youth programs!
- Tic-Tac-Toe race
**This one works best with two groups of two-three.
- To play, start with a tic-tac-toe grid (we use hula hoops but you could also use sidewalk chalk) with markers for each team (five of each colour)
- Have the two teams stand at the other end of the playing field
- The two teams will take turns running to the grid, picking up and placing their marker and then running back to tag their next teammate
- The first to make a tic-tac-toe, wins!
2. Mini Fitness Circuit (station to station)
**Works great in small or large groups
- To start, set up a number of stations (we like to use four to six), spaced out so there is room to run to each one
- At each station, have a different physical activity (hula hoops, jump rope, balance beam, etc)
- Have each kid complete the circuit and tag the next in line
Ways to win:
- The fastest time; or
- Break into teams and have the fastest team win
3. Yoga stories
**This can be done in groups, or one-on-one
- Using yoga cards, a yoga poster (showing poses) or already established knowledge of poses, start a story with the group
- Go around the circle having each kid add another part to the story
- Every addition to the story will have a pose that goes with it
- End in a relaxation pose
*Remember to stay safe and ALWAYS have a supply of fresh water and sun protection if you’re playing in the summer heat!